I finished this on Christmas Eve and forgot to take pictures (and was then away until last night,) but hey. Works as a good Last Post Of The Decade, no? Pattern is, once again, by Vivian Russo/Philae Artes and is, once again, a take on The Child/Baby Yoda. This one’s significantly bigger than the ornaments and available for snuggling or putting out and staging something. (He’s not quite posable, with his little arms going under the collar and also being quite small, but then we are talking about a cute and tiny baby.) The pattern is really simple and easy-to-follow, which is always ideal for things like this. As a side note, I tweeted some pictures of the Pokeballs to Junichi Masuda on a lark (since he retweets a lot of fanart,) and… Yeah, this is the definition of ‘Senpai Noticed Me’, isn’t it. I am still pleasantly baffled, since I had realized after making the tweet that he was probably asleep for the night and didn’t expect him to see it waking up. (Gotta imagine there’s quite a few notifications on that account.) So, that’s 2019 around here! While some good stuff definitely happened, I will nonetheless be glad to see the end of it.
I have not had NEARLY the time to make Pokemon as I’d like. Here’s hoping next year and moving to commissions and patterns will open that time up some more. But my cousins love Pokemon and we needed some Christmas presents, which provides a nice opportunity to work on these. Obviously, they’re a pretty easy pattern – one big circle (the Ideal Sphere pattern is once again helpful!) with basic color changes, and the button. I’m pretty proud of the button itself – a white circle attached with crochet on in black, put over the color change points. Works well! I’m hoping to finish a couple more things before the year is out.
Well this one took a while. Remember how I said my favorite character in Kingdom Hearts is Xion? Well, the ending of KHIII gave me everything I wanted including a new getup for her. Which I am, it turns out, mostly capable of making!
I tweaked the original doll’s proportions so she’s a bit bigger now. Gives more space for detailwork, which is good with something as detailed and hard to see as her blouse, which… well, look at a closeup.
I ultimately couldn’t figure out the buttons (French or Colonial knots could do it but they still don’t show up well and I can’t quite make them yet,) but she has the pleats on her skirt, the collar, the belt, and the ruffles on her sleeves. A bit clumsy at times, but did I ever try.
I’m still super proud of the boots and skirt, which is pleated using the technique Here, and the first technique here, which is the same technique but different pictures. Both were helpful. The boots started from the base from that Tonberry pattern I did from ArtisticGaming a while back, and then modified to fit a human (if Kingdom Heartsy) foot.
The hair fit largely the same, but different size means slightly different look, and her new blue eyes are from GlassEyesOnline. I am really proud of the full result, even if, say, the wire didn’t quite go through completely straight for the arms. She’s done! And eventually, her friends will join her. But later. I have some other projects to work on.
This is today. So you know, that’s where I am this week.
Sure, I hinted at that pun, but it’s the best one that’s even vaguely character-relevant. Closing out the year with my first attempt working patternless (though her head is from the Ideal Sphere by Emily Premise-Conclusion,) and one of my very favorite characters – Xion of Kingdom Hearts. (Patternless in part because there’s not a ton of people doing Kingdom Hearts crochet to begin with. This is the EASIEST outfit.) With Kingdom Hearts III coming out in 29 days (29 days!) I wanted to have a little friend to hug as terrible things happen onscreen. Honestly, thought it would take longer! This is my first prototype Xion – I want to tweak some things like proportions and how her wire is set up, and some of them will require a second attempt. Plus I want to attempt to replicate her off the notes I took and see if I can make a pattern.
There were a couple issues while making her, since it was my first attempt. Most notably, I had to improvise a few points when I attached arms before clothes on her main body so her outfit here is less coat and more Very Long Sweater.
She’s pretty soft – all that black is Red Heart So Soft – but a touch smaller than I intended, mainly with her legs so short. (A matching Roxas would be teeny.) The beige is Vanna’s Choice again, while the grey is Loops and Threads Woolike Cool Grey. It’s also extremely fine in case I had to do more embroidery. (The boots’ outlines are actually metallic floss, but it was difficult to work with so I didn’t use it for the upper coat part.)
I am so, so proud to have made her. Apart from the head, everything else was from a year and change’s accumulated knowledge. Given how short a time it’s been, having something successful to show for it is just plain cool.
2018 was a weird and often trying year personally, but I’ve managed to accomplish a lot despite some general chaos. Here’s hoping for good things in 2019. Thanks for reading so far, you handful who do!
These were done a couple days ago…
And these from my just-finished sleeves. (Also, don’t attach arms before main body clothes. Protip.) More to come as we go!
Tonberry is now complete! I actually got the hood and sleeves done a little bit ago, but wanted to do the complete post with those accessories. Pattern, once again, is from ArtisticGaming. Who has a lot of interesting patterns, so I’ll probably work on others at some point. Continue reading Stabby Friend