Shelly Friend

Finishing up my commissions for the year is this turtle for some friends! Isn’t it cute? Worked up fast once I got my brain in gear, especially since it’s pretty simple shapes. I like the rim – it’s really simple (crocheting the bottom of the shell to the top and then doing a round in front loops only,) but has a neat effect! Still need to work on that limb placement, though. After this… Well, I just got a couple patterns for a certain sci fi sensation, let’s just say that.

Shelly Friend

Finishing up my commissions for the year is this turtle for some friends! Isn’t it cute? Worked up fast once I got my brain in gear, especially since it’s pretty simple shapes. I like the rim – it’s really simple (crocheting the bottom of the shell to the top and then doing a round in front loops only,) but has a neat effect! Still need to work on that limb placement, though. After this… Well, I just got a couple patterns for a certain sci fi sensation, let’s just say that.

Husky, Husky, Whoo-woo-woo!

My mom’s a Bloomsburg alum, I regret nothing.

This one took a WHILE. Back in September, my aunt asked me if I’d do a commission for her, since her sister-in-law had a baby. Sure, said I, and she suggested, and bought for me, this Husky pattern by AuroraGurumi. Which is adorable!Thing I did not check beforehand: Size. Thing I did not fully conceptualize before making the head: Just how BIG a twelve-inch plush toy is. With her permission, I shelved the project in the lead up to the craft shows (back in mid-October,) and started work on it again after them and a last-minute further commission. Still, it is done, and it is CUTE!The nose embroidery comes courtesy, once again, of my mother, since I typically struggle with adjacent stitches like that so she filled in after my original, less-neat attempt. Thank you once again, because it is adorable!

I did the pattern mostly as written, with two exceptions: First, the body parts as written are attached during crocheting the main body in a way I couldn’t quite parse, so I just sewed them on. Second, the arms as written are almost ten rounds longer – and end up much longer than the legs. Since this was intended as a cuddle buddy and less of a hanger-on of things, I decided it would probably be best to shorten them. While I don’t think I’ll be doing any patterns quite this large again anytime soon, it is super-cute and I’m glad how it turned out! (One more outstanding commission for the year and then I’m going to make a couple completely self-indulgent things for a bit. I learned this craft so I would buy fewer toys because I could make them myself, and if I don’t get the chance to I start eyeing the Kingdom Hearts Funko Pops.)

More Giraffe

Well I started off the year with first a stomach bug, then a cold, then nasty allergies from a major home renovation leading to major dust kickup. So crafting’s been a bit on the backburner, but finally I’ve finished something!

It’s another giraffe for the coming cousin. Last scarf will be finished soon. Pattern is the same giraffe from ElenasTimes, and the materials are the same as well. Nice to have something finished finally! And with any luck it can now be shipped and arrive in Seattle before the baby’s born.

Jellyfish Stew

Continuing the food theme, I suppose – had that old poetry episode of Arthur running in my head already while I was thinking of titles. Another toy for a baby at our friendly local yarn store. As you can see from this lighting it’s a paler yellow than that previous post – the same yellow cotton from the giraffe – and the smaller tentacles are the same yellow green of Kermit’s collar. Not a whole lot to talk about – the pattern is from Edafedd’s Darling But Deadly pattern set, and the whole thing is done in single crochet and chaining with clever use of increases for shaping. There’s a LOT of tentacles – eight green, three curly yellow – and so much sewing. Like, probably an hour at least, all told was spent on the sewing, since the tentacles are meant to be attached to the bottom before attaching it to the main body and I wanted to have them all done to figure out placement. And obviously the pieces had to be extra secure for a small child’s use. Only thing I had to change was since I was using lace weight for the green tentacles I did a row of single crochet rather than fastening off after the chain. Good pattern, if a bit long in the endless tentacles part. If I get a chance I totally want to do the blue ringed octopus from that set later.